Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers ~ A Review

My book club recently read Francine Rivers' latest novel - Bridge to Haven.

First, let me say, that while I enjoy Francine Rivers' books, she is not my "go-to" writer for Christian fiction. I know others think EVERYTHING she does is great but I'm not one of them. Don't get me wrong, she's good but not my favorite. I don't gravitate toward her books - they don't call to me. That said, I absolutely LOVED Redeeming Love. It was a wonderful retelling of the story of Gomer and Hosea and had some meat and depth. A good story stays with you for a long time which, I'm sure, is the hope of many writers.

Okay, back to the review of her current book.

Bridge to Haven tells the story of Abra Matthews, a tormented soul who spends much of her young life convinced she is not wanted. We read how Abra runs from everyone who loves her, most importantly God. We watch, sometimes painfully, as Abra travels a rocky road and we rejoice at the predicted conclusion.

Astute readers will know exactly how this books plays out before they read what happens. As I was reading through it - and it is a very quick read - I kept thinking it would make a great made-for-TV movie! And that was a major disappointment for me. Too much fluff and not enough meat. It was way too predictable.

There is some great character development with the manager, Franklin and with Abra herself. And a nice portrayal of life in 1950's Hollywood. Some big Hollywood names are tossed in - Lana Turner, Elvis Presley and Ronald Reagan. This gave the story some credibility and I enjoyed reading about the parties and the pitfalls of movie stardom back then.

So, would I recommend this book? Yes, if you've never read Francine Rivers before and are looking for a quick read. No, if you're a Francine Rivers fan and expect something along the lines of Redeeming Love or The Scarlet Thread. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.


**This review is my opinion only. I was not paid for nor asked to post this review. I did not receive any compensation for it nor did I receive a book in exchange for a review. I purchased the book myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment