Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand - October


This is my first time participating in the What's On Your Nightstand? meme at 5 Minutes for Books. I love their blog - I'm always checking it for new books to add to my "To Be Read" pile - which keeps growing! A few of the books on my first list below were recommended by 5 Minutes for Books.

Alas, I didn't get much housework done this month but I did get some books read! The dreary, wet fall days we are having in Maryland are just perfect for cozying up with a good book and warm drink. I'm looking forward to November, December and January so I can do a lot more reading. Oh wait....Christmas is coming and I need to buy presents for the children, decorate the house, bake and so on and so forth. Oh, well, I'll fit it in somewhere!

Here's what I read this month:

1. Dawn's Prelude by Tracie Peterson. This was an okay read. I loved reading about the Alaskan frontier but I had a hard time connecting with the main character. I think I felt that she spent too much time feeling sorry for herself. When I read a book, I like to think about which character I'd be if I could jump in the story. Lydia, the main character, was not my first choice. I rather pictured myself as her aunt - yikes, whose name I can't recall. I need to start journaling when I read so I have better notes for these posts! I've read other books by Ms. Peterson and I have to say this was not one of my favorites. This is the first in the Song of Alaska series and I do want to read the second book Morning's Refrain when it is available at my library.

2. The Scarlet Thread by Francine Rivers. This is the second time I've read this story of Sierra and Alex. I had to re-read it for my book club which meets in November. I enjoyed the book so much more the second time around. Francine Rivers is a master story teller and I enjoy how she weaves a Bible story into her fictitious retelling.

3. The Noticer by Andy Andrews. This was the first time I read anything by Andy Andrews and I enjoyed this story of an apparent vagrant who helps the people in a small town notice what's around them and change their perspective. Very subtle story-telling. For some reason, I thought Mr. Andrews was a comedian from the '80's. I'll need to research that a little bit more. Anyway, I wouldn't mind reading other books of his.

4. First Things First by Kurt and Brenda Warner. I enjoyed reading this book and learning how the Warner's teach their children to love others first. Brenda Warner was very candid about sharing her heart and struggles as a Mom and Kurt Warner appears to be a very hands-on Dad. They are raising their children to know the Lord and to be in the world, not of it. The only thing I did not like was how Brenda's attitude came across sometimes. She seemed very flip about the fact that they had money, maids, nannies and she was able to jaunt off with her girlfriends often. That's great that they have the money - and they give generously - but I felt like she was putting it in my face. Just my opinion. I did enjoy this book and it gave me a lot to think about concerning my three teens.

So what's left on my nightstand? Just a few hundred books yet...well, they are really on my dresser, my jewelry armoire, the bookshelf in the hallway, my desk and so on. But here are a few that I plan to read next:

1. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. This is my current read. Oh. My. Goodness. Is this book good!!! My boss recommended this to me and I can't put it down. A little hard to read in some parts just because it is so raw and open but definitely a page turner. Again, Ms. Rivers took a Bible story and meshed it into the 19th century frontier. This is by far the best book I have read in a very long time!

2. Family Driven Faith by Voddie Bauchum. I've heard nothing but praise regarding this book so I ordered it off of Ebay and will be reading it next.

3. Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright. This has been on my shelf for a while so it's time to dust it off and give it a spin.

That's it for now. I don't want to get too ambitious with what I plan to read because you never know what's in store for me next month!

What are you reading? Head over to 5 Minutes for Books to see what others are reading.

8 comments:

  1. Hey! Welcome and thanks for linking up!

    I love all of the books you listed, having just purchased Redeeming Love on the recommendation of so many others.

    I also have not yet read Family Driven Faith but have heard nothing but good things about that also!

    I think you'll be having a bit of fun. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I am a Rivers fan as well, although I haven't read either of hers you mentioned; I'll have to add them to my huge list!
    You've intrigued me with the First Things First book; now I'm wanting to check it out as well.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Redeeming Love is on my all time favorite book list. Have you read her Mark of the Lion series? Excellent. Dust off Wednesday Letters, it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love the sounds of "The Noticer". I'll have to check that book out quite soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining in! I'm glad we were able to give you some good recommendations as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't able to get to The Noticer yet, but I highly recommend Island of Saints. Andy Andrews is a great storyteller. I have enjoyed all of his books so far.

    I also have Family Driven Faith waiting to be read. I need to put it right beside my bed so it does get read.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you visited my blog and left your kind comment. I had not been here to yours before and I'm so glad to find it. It's interesting and informative to see what other Believers are reading and I do love to read. Never had seen What's on Your Nightstand? These will be in my bookmarks now.

    ReplyDelete