Monday, September 28, 2009

Menu Plan for Week of 9.28.09


Menu planning has to be one of the best organizational tools that I use. Being a working mom ~ and a busy working mom, like many of you (and, yes, you stay at home moms are working moms...you just get to stay in more comfortable clothes all day) ~ I sometimes need quick meals to get on the table so we can get back out the door to an activity. Some days, I'm not so busy in the evening and can prepare a meal that takes longer than 30 minutes from fridge to table. This week will be quick meal week ~ two scout events, teen Bible study, mom and dad's night out and a band outing....

Monday ~ Out - Kids do not have school today so we're off to do something fun and will have dinner out using one of the restaurant gift cards I have.

Tuesday ~ Taco Soup - recipe below - this is leftover from Sunday

Wednesday ~ Oven Baked Salmon Patties, Oven Roasted potatoes, peas

Thursday ~ Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup - I have to be back out the door 45 minutes after I get home from work for a Scout meeting!

Friday ~ Mom and Dad's night out! Kids are having ... I have no idea. I think we'll decide late that afternoon!

Saturday ~ King Ranch Chicken Casserole. I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while. If I cook the chicken before I leave for the school band outing, it should be easy to assemble when I get home. If I'm really on the ball that morning, I'll have it all ready to go in the oven when I get home!

Sunday ~ Grilled London Broil, Baked Potatoes and Salad

You can check out all the other great menus at I'm an Organizing Junkie for other great menu plans.

Here's the recipe for Taco Soup. One note - I cook with whatever I have on hand and don't generally follow recipes to a tee. I switch out the meat between cooked ground beef or turkey, chopped fresh chicken or beef (browned then put in the crockpot) or leftover meat. The great thing is that they all work and you don't feel like you are cooking the same meal often! The original recipe came from the Fix It and Forget It Cookbook.

1 package ranch dressing mix (like Hidden Valley)
1 package taco seasoning
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 can tomato sauce (small can - after emptying, fill with water and add to pot)
1 can beef broth (or chicken broth if you use chicken or turkey)
2 cups of meat (see above - this time I used browned, ground beef with 1/2 a small onion mixed in)

If you like your soup with more broth, add 2 cups of water and 2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes. Leave this out, if you like a soup that is thicker and more chili like. I prefer more broth and added this - this is not in the original recipe.

Add all above ingredients to the crockpot and set on low. Cook 4-6 hours. Ladle into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, chopped green onions and a dollop of sour cream.

3 comments:

  1. I love Taco Soup and King Ranch Chicken! My recipes are different, but everybody has a different recipe! I like that your soup has beef broth and ranch dressing mix in it! I might have to change mine up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love recipes, but don't always follow them either. Sounds like you don't lead such a quite life... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments ladies!

    Michelle - the taco soup recipe is very versatile. You are right - I like to hear how others have changed up recipes.

    Newmami - No, not a very quiet life yet but it is my ambition!

    ReplyDelete